Dogs are often the most common choice of most people to have as pet. Some acquired their dogs as gifts from their loved ones. There are also some who only found them lost in streets or public places. Some prefer to buy dogs from other people and pet shops. If you are in the search for a pet dog and thinking of buying one, below are some important tips that you should consider.
1. If you opt to have a puppy, make sure that there is someone who should look after him all them time. You cannot leave your pet dog alone at home even for a short period of time. If you are working, make arrangements with someone to take care of your pet while you are away from home.
2. You will need some amount of money to board kennels so have you have to be prepared for it. This is important especially during holidays, as dogs are more prone to be destroyed at this time of the year. There are many reputable kennels out there, however, their charges have increased due to higher operating costs. Be sure to make reservations ahead.
3. If you have a pet dog, you should be prepared with the expenses that you will incur. Aside from the food and kennels, you are also going to spend on his vaccinations and regular medical check ups. Your pet dog can also get sick unexpectedly and you should be ready with this kind of situation. It is a good idea to get insurance for your pet.
4. Regular exercise is important for your dog for him to become healthy. Some exercises that your dog can perform are running in the park or a game ball. Having a dog will require you to spend some time to play with him everyday.
5. If you have young children at home, do not get a very young puppy. Young children tend to play around with the small puppy, which may badly hurt your dog. They usually treat a puppy like a toy and worse; they can even break the bones of the dog.
On the other hand, a more a grown-up dog may also hurt young children. So you have to wait until your children will become responsible enough to take care of themselves.
6. When choosing a dog breed, consider the time that you can spend with him as they also need proper grooming. Dogs with long and curly hair look attractive but you need to keep them well-groomed everyday to maintain their good appearance. Some breed like poodles require regular trimming and grooming so you should have enough time and money to bring him to a dog grooming shop.